VB CGC Practice Group

VB CGC Practice Group
Vandeventer Black's Construction and Government Contracts Practice Group focuses on serving our business clients in the construction industry. We currently have offices in Norfolk and Richmond, VA, the OBX and Raleigh, NC, and Hamburg, Germany. For more information about Vandeventer Black, clink on the VB logo.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Federal I-9 Form Required After May 7, 2013

The Department of Homeland Security published a new form for verifying employment eligability that is applicable to all U.S. business.  Vandeventer Black's Mara Mijal offers this summary of the change:
 
On March 8, 2013, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a revised Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 for use. All employers are required to complete a Form I-9 for each employee hired in the United States. Improvements to the new Form I-9 include new fields, reformatting to reduce errors, and clearer instructions to both employees and employers.
As of March 8, 2013, employers should begin using the newly revised Form I-9 for all new hires and reverifications.  Employers may continue to use previously accepted revisions until May 7, 2013; however, after May 7, 2013, employers must only use the new Form I-9.  Employers should not complete a new Form I-9 for current employees if a properly completed Form I-9 is already on file.

The revised Form I-9 is available online at www.uscis.gov.
For more information about this, here is Mara's contact information:
  

Mara S. Mijal
Immigration Law Group
Vandeventer Black LLP
101 West Main Street
500 World Trade Center
Norfolk, VA 23510
tel 757-446-8600
fax 757-446-8670
email: mmijal@vanblk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment